Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Happily Unemployed

On Monday evening I quit my job at Circuit City.

I planned on doing it before liquidation was over, and indeed I did.

My 18th birthday was on Sunday and I was evaluating the things that make me happy, the stressors in my life, and overall just life in general. I realized that the amount of stress I have decreased significantly after I finished all of my college applications, though there was a ton of stress still lingering. The retail work environment isn't very enticing or encouraging. I don't think I've ever had a day where I realistically thought "it's so great to work here!" I don't think I've ever had a day after the first month where I didn't contemplate just leaving.

I really can't put my finger on why I was so unhappy at Circuit City. I enjoyed helping customers when they weren't complete jerks, I had fun messing around with all the cameras, and most of the people I worked with were pretty cool. OH YEAH, there was monetary compensation for my labor too.

Things didn't change much after liquidation. Although I didn't have to be as pushy about protection plans and providing the best guest experience, I was still always told to "do something!" when there was absolutely nothing to do or be held accountable for mishaps due to the lack of organization in the store. For the last few weeks I was basically getting paid to do nothing. It was an incredible waste of time. These two articles are great and almost exactly convey how I feel about the whole thing.

I realized I was unhappy there quite a while ago, for some reason I just decided that I didn't need to be subject to it anymore. No one was forcing me to stay there, I really didn't need the money (I ended up spending more because I was out all the time), and the customers vultures were starting to get to me. I'd hate to neglect my commitment to robotics and performance in school for something that I barely care about; this was an appropriate time to leave before I got too swamped. Not to mention I never had any time to do anything...now I do!

I'm unemployed. It feels great :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good for you! i'm glad you thought of yourself before your job! :]
i still have to buy some things, maybe you can drive me there and we can do some shopping! :D
oh and i have something for you for your birthday. :]

Josue said...

Next stop.... DOMINOES!!!!

well... I want to...